Acknowledgement to Great American
City inspectors received notice of possible building violations at a nursing home facility. Inspection of the facility found the building’s roof and interior were in violation of city codes. The violations were serious in nature including signs of water damage on ceilings, light fixtures, and electrical switches. Additionally, several employees reported a mold/mildew odor. A further investigation discovered black mold within ceiling tiles, under layers of peeling paint, and in areas of noticeable water leakage. Residents of the facility were showing symptoms of rashes, headaches, asthma, and difficulty breathing. The facility had to be temporarily shut down and the residents relocated before clean-up of the extensive mold could begin. Families of several of the residents filed suits for bodily injury against the facility.