TOXIC-FUME FRIGHT IN S.I.

Source: http://www.nypost.com, November 6, 2007
By: Tom Liddy

Nearly 20 people were sickened in a Staten Island housing project yesterday after workers accidentally released a toxic chemical cloud while cleaning a sewage spill. One worker was in critical condition at Richmond University Hospital. Three workers were attempting to disinfect a basement in the Richmond Terrace Houses in New Brighton with lime just after 1:40 p.m. when the lime reacted with water on the floor, releasing corrosive fumes that knocked out two of them. The third managed to stumble out. Arriving firefighters from Engine Co. 155 had not been told about the fumes and ran inside without protection. But they stayed in the basement until they could drag out the victims. “They went above and beyond the call of duty,” said Capt. Brian Gorman, who led the rescue effort.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *