Acknowledgement to Ironshore Environmental
The Associated Press
Published: Monday, December 14, 2009 at 9:24 a.m.
Last Modified: Monday, December 14, 2009 at 2:48 p.m.
MIAMI – About 300 guests have been relocated from a luxury Miami hotel after one guest died and at least two others became sick since October from Legionnaire’s disease.
Health officials say the guests at the EPIC Hotel were sent to nearby hotels Sunday to prevent further contact with the waterborne bacterial disease.
People can become infected by breathing in mist or vapor contaminated with the bacteria. It cannot spread from person to person, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
An investigation revealed that the hotel had installed a water filter powerful enough to remove chlorine from its city-supplied water, which encouraged bacterial growth.
County health officials have not specified yet when the man died or released any information about him.