Source: https://www.wltx.com, December 11, 2018
By: Nic Jones
Some in a Columbia community are thinking about moving after a gas odor at a nearby gas station has been impacting people for weeks.
It’s been a pain for this community since before Thanksgiving.
Back on November 19th, Play Pals Day Care off of Broad River Road noticed a gas odor. They were evacuated and it was later discovered by the South Carolina Department of Environmental Control that it
Adrian Whitney says he’s had to leave his home three times since the first incident.
“The last couple of weeks, we’ve been in and out. Throw yourself at the mercy of a family member and spend extra money on hotels,” said Whitney.
The day care off of Dothan Road has been closed since the 19th. At the gas station next door, the convenience store is still open.
“When it’s raining, the rain seems to push the fumes all the way down to the house, then we have to go,” explained Whitney.
Whitney says it’s so much of a problem, he’s getting close to saying goodbye to the place he calls home.
“I’m ready to get up out of here. I’m hoping that I can find somewhere else to go, to live you know. If it’s going to take as long as some people think it’s going to take, like the one dude that was working up here told me, he’ll probably be in the grave by the time they get this fixed,” said Whitney.
DHEC released the following statement to News 19:
DHEC directed the tank owner to remove fuel in all underground storage tanks (USTs) and not receive any fuel deliveries until further notice. Fuel delivery will not be allowed until all repairs have been completed and the UST system is tested with passing results provided to DHEC. The tank owner has hired a contractor who is in the process of repairing and testing the UST system. The convenience store is currently operating.
DHEC has been overseeing the tank owner’s environmental contractors conducting assessment and cleanup at the gas station and adjacent properties. At this time it is not feasible to predict the cleanup completion time.
was coming from the BP Gas Station next door.