Source: https://www.seattletimes.com/, November 18, 2019
By: Daniel Gilbert and Ryan Blethen
Seattle Children’s chief executive disclosed Monday that 14 patients have been sickened by Aspergillus mold since 2001 — six of whom died — blaming his hospital for failing to recognize a connection between the infections and the air-handling units serving its operating rooms.
Dr. Jeff Sperring, Children’s chief executive, said the hospital had believed earlier infections were isolated events but that recent cases prompted staff to take another look. “Looking back, we should have made the connection sooner,” he said at news conference. “Simply put, we failed.” Read more.