Source: https://www.wkbw.com/, December 16, 2019
By: Ali Touhey
Five Amherst Central High School teachers are suing a local contractor after they claim they got sick after being exposed to toxic substances at school.
The group, which is prohibited by state law from taking legal action against the school district, has filed suit against Turner Construction Co. in State Supreme Court. Read more.…
Source: https://www.whec.com, October 30, 2019
By: Kaci Jones
There’s a smelly situation out in Brighton. Homeowners on Howland Avenue say there’s an odor in the air making them sick. It’s been there for a couple days. Neighbors have been worried it could be something toxic.
News10NBC learned the root of the problem. Aces Energy and Frey Drilling installed a geothermal well behind Jeremiah Green’s home. Read more.…
Source: https://www.constructiondive.com, August 14, 2019
By: Kim Slowey
Source: https://www.pennlive.com, August 29, 2019
By: Christine Vendel
Cleanup of the Harrisburg wall collapse site next to the Mulberry Street Bridge in Harrisburg is expected to cost about $6 million, engineers revealed Wednesday, putting a pricetag on the project for the first time. Read more.…
Source: https://www.chattanoogan.com, August 14, 2019
A couple that bought a condominium at the upscale Heritage Landing on the Tennessee River said mold under the house made them sick and the house no longer habitable.
Tim and Muffy Mitch are suing the Heritage Landing Condominium Association, Morris Property Management, PDM Engineering, Mack McCarley of PDM, Precise Plumbing, Charles Reynolds of Precise Plumbing, Reliable Heating and Air and Alternative Actions, Inc. Read more.…
Source: https://www.yakimaherald.com, July 1, 2019
By: Janelle Retka
The Yakima School District has filed a lawsuit against the design and construction companies responsible for the blue wall running through Eisenhower High School for alleged breach of contract leading to property damage and substantial repair costs.
The lawsuit filed last month in Yakima County Superior Court names Graham Construction & Management, a Canadian firm with a Seattle office, and Yakima-based KDA Architecture as the defendants.
The architecture firm designed the Eisenhower High School campus, which was completed in 2013 to replace a campus dating back to 1957, and Graham was the contractor. The entire project cost the school district roughly $83 million.
Source: https://denverite.com, May 20, 2019
By: Donna Bryson
After the city raised safety concerns so serious that new beams had to be installed to support a row of homes in Villa Park, the owners and their builder joined to sue the engineering company. The engineers in turn blamed the city and a company contracted to review building plans.
The legal tangle spelled out in Denver District Court papers is a matter of life or death for the small building firm and, at the very least, stress for the homeowners and the engineers. It also puts a spotlight on how Community Planning and Development is managing, amid Denver’s building frenzy, to ensure that developers can meet the demand for housing — and do it safely.
The pressure is strong to get permits issued so people can have houses and offices. In a 2017 report, the Denver auditor focused on the building permitting system, noting “Denver is growing quickly, and we want to ensure the process for planning projects is effectively meeting city objectives and efficient for customers.” The auditor’s recommendations on improving efficiency urged reviews to determine whether staffing and resources were sufficient. Safety was not a focus of the report, the most recent to look at permitting.…
Source: https://www.theadvocate.com, May 19, 2019
By: Marta Jewson
Two New Orleans charter schools will spend a second year in temporary facilities as multimillion-dollar asbestos remediation jobs stretch into another school year. The schools — Lafayette Academy in Carrollton and Rosenwald Collegiate Academy in Algiers — had previously been expected to move into their permanent buildings this fall.
In a lawsuit filed Friday, the Orleans Parish School Board claims it has spent $5 million relocating schools and programs as a result of contractors’ mismanagement at Lafayette Academy’s South Carrollton Avenue building, which was closed last summer due to an asbestos release.
The Choice Foundation, which runs Lafayette charter school, is a co-plaintiff in the suit. The foundation says it has spent $1.3 million replacing possibly contaminated furniture and equipment at the campus.
Asbestos, a commonly used building material until the 1980s, is dangerous when its fibers becomes airborne. Many old schools may contain the fire-retardant material in floor tiles and adhesive, ceiling tiles and pipe insulation. It is generally safe unless renovations or other activities disturb the material.…
Source: AXA XL Environmental
To achieve the completion date on a school project, the GC accelerated its schedule, allowing the drywall contractor to start before the building envelope was completed. Rain damaged a majority of the installed drywall as well as the materials stored on site. This resulted in $2 million in repair costs and associated delay costs, borne by the GC.…
Source: AXA XL Environmental
A GC renovating a bank hired an asbestos abatement contractor. As part of their final cleanup process on a Friday, the abatement contractor utilized a high-pressure wash, resulting in saturated carpets, ceilings and walls. Materials remained saturated over the weekend while the HVAC system remained turned off. The GC was greeted with extensive mold growth throughout the building on Monday morning, and ultimately a $600,000 bill to correct the damage. Although the GC ensured that the subcontractor retained pollution insurance, the subcontractor had a mold exclusion on their policy, leaving the entire cost on the shoulders of the GC.…