Bacterial

September 1, 2010

Legionnaire’s disease at Miami Hotel Sickens 300, Kills 1

Acknowledgement to Ironshore Environmental

The Associated Press
Published: Monday, December 14, 2009 at 9:24 a.m.
Last Modified: Monday, December 14, 2009 at 2:48 p.m.

MIAMI – About 300 guests have been relocated from a luxury Miami hotel after one guest died and at least two others became sick since October from Legionnaire’s disease.

Health officials say the guests at the EPIC Hotel were sent to nearby hotels Sunday to prevent further contact with the waterborne bacterial disease.

People can become infected by breathing in mist or vapor contaminated with the bacteria. It cannot spread from person to person, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

An investigation revealed that the hotel had installed a water filter powerful enough to remove chlorine from its city-supplied water, which encouraged bacterial growth.

County health officials have not specified yet when the man died or released any information about him.…

September 1, 2010

Four Guests Diagnosed: Legionnaires’ Disease Reported

Acknowledgement to Ironshore Environmental

Oct. 18, 2008
Copyright © Las Vegas Review-Journal

Bacterium found at Polo Towers

By ANNETTE WELLS
REVIEW-JOURNAL

The Southern Nevada Health District issued a warning to past and present guests of Polo Towers on Friday that a bacterium common in warm water that causes Legionnaires’ disease was discovered in the resort’s water system.

The health district, along with the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, took water samples at the resort recently after four guests were diagnosed with the disease. Two of the guests were diagnosed in August and September, and two others in 2007, health officials said.…