Source: http://www.thedailysound.com, September 11, 2009
Hazardous materials crews responded to the Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital pathology lab yesterday evening after three gallons of Formalin, a formaldehyde-based preservative, spilled.
City fire Capt. Gary Pitney said 15 to 20 employees were present when the spill occurred just before 6:30 p.m., and all evacuated quickly, limiting exposure to the substance, which he said is respiratory and eye irritant.
He said no one was injured, and because the lab is relatively isolated from the rest of the hospital, fumes didn’t move through the ventilation system.
“Surprisingly, nobody was exposed,” Pitney said. “With fumes you just never know how it’s going to transfer through the ventilation system.”
The hazardous materials unit isolated the spill, and Pitney said a private company was called in to clean it up.
As of 8:30 p.m. the lab remained closed and officials were unsure when it would reopen.…
Source: http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/, February 2, 2010
About 500 people, including 90 children, have been evacuated from a hospital campus in Denver, CO, this morning, following an accident involving hazardous chemicals.
A spokesperson from National Jewish Health said that most people evacuated were staff. Approximately 35 people were hospitalized to treat respiratory problems and nausea.
Reportedly, chlorine and hydrochloric acid were either spilled or mixed together during maintenance work at a swimming pool on the hospital campus.
According to the reports, the main hospital was affected.…
Source: CBS News, Canada, July 7, 2009
Officials have isolated a unit on the third floor of the Alberta Children’s Hospital in Calgary because of three swine flu cases.
The hospital has stopped admitting new patients to the unit, which usually treats children with kidney problems, because one staff member and two children are confirmed to have swine flu, said Don Stewart, a spokesman with Alberta Health Services, on Tuesday.
Patients already there have been isolated, and only their parents or close family are being allowed to visit them.
The unit has been contained, and infection prevention control measures are underway, added Stewart. Alberta has registered more than 1,000 cases of swine flu since the influenza outbreak began in Mexico in March.
On Monday, health officials confirmed the death of an Edmonton-area woman with chronic pre-existing medical conditions as the second fatality in the province associated with swine flu.
Every year, 4,000 Canadians die from the flu and a high percentage of them have underlying conditions that play a large part in making them susceptible to complications associated with the flu, he said.…
Associated Press (2/17/10) via Advisen
Mountains of grimy snow piled in parking lots aren’t the prettiest sight in East Coast communities, but experts say leaving it there until the spring thaw is less toxic to the environment than dumping it into freshwater rivers, streams and creeks. Read more.…